Recipe from Iowa Egg Council
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon onion salt + ⅛ teaspoon (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 4 strips good quality bacon
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 2 tablespoons butter + more for greasing ramekins
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese finely grated
- 2 ramekins (8 ounces each) (4½-inch wide mouth works nicely)
Separate eggs and let come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly beat egg yolks and add cream, onion salt, white pepper and lightly beat again to combine. Set aside.
Fry bacon until crisp and drain on paper towel. Cool and crumble 2 strips into fine pieces.
Butter ramekins and set aside. Beat egg whites to form soft peaks. Add ⅛ teaspoon onion salt, optional. Continue beating to form stiff peaks. Fold in chives and crumbled bacon pieces into egg whites.
Place 1 tablespoon butter in the center of buttered ramekins. Divide egg yolk mixture between ramekins. Add 1 tablespoon cheese on top of each yolk mixture.
Spoon egg white mixture equally over top of yolk mixture in each ramekin, mound with peaks.
Cut remaining 2 bacon strips in half and pierce whites with bacon leaving ⅔ of each strip showing.
Bake 5 to 7 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving: 680 Calories, 61g Fat, 27g Saturated Fat, 665mg Cholesterol, 890mg Sodium, 3g Carbohydrate, 28g Protein