Beef and Couscous-Stuffed Baby Bell Peppers
Recipe from Iowa Beef Industry Council
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound 93% lean ground beef
- 15 baby sweet bell peppers (about 2½ - 3 inches long, about 1¼ lb.)
- ⅔ cup regular or spicy 100% vegetable juice
- ½ cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- ¼ cup uncooked whole wheat or regular couscous
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup reduced-fat shredded Parmesan, Monterey Jack, white Cheddar or Italian-blend cheese
Heat oven to 400°F. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membranes, but not stem. Place peppers, cut-sides up, on two rimmed baking sheets.
Combine ground beef, vegetable juice, spinach, couscous, garlic, oregano, salt and black pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Spoon beef mixture evenly into peppers. Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted into center of pepper registers 160°F and peppers begin to brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition per serving: 44 Calories, 2g Total Fat, 12mg Cholesterol, 101mg Sodium, 3g Carbohydrate, 0.6g Fiber, 4g Protein