Thai Peanut Chicken Quinoa Bowls
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1¾ cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 1 large chicken breast, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup coleslaw mix
- ½ cup frozen shelled edamame
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon peanut or soybean oil
- ½ cup salted peanuts, chopped and divided
Ingredients for the Thai peanut sauce:
- ¼ cup gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free chili garlic sauce
Bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan then add rinsed quinoa. Place a lid on top then lower heat and cook until quinoa has absorbed chicken broth, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork then set aside. (Can be done ahead of time.)
Combine all sauce ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl then microwave for 20 seconds. Stir until smooth then set aside. Whisk together egg and sesame oil in a small bowl and set aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon peanut oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper then add to wok and stir-fry until no longer pink. Remove to a plate and set aside.
Heat remaining teaspoon peanut oil in a wok, adding coleslaw mix, frozen edamame and green onions. Stir-fry until tender, 2 to 3 minutes, then push to outsides of wok, creating a clear space in the center. Add egg whisked with sesame oil to center of wok then stir-fry until soft scrambled.
Add cooked chicken, quinoa, sauce and half the chopped peanuts to wok and toss to combine. Serve with remaining chopped peanuts.
Nutrition per serving: 463 Calories, 20g Total Fat, 88mg Cholesterol, 1729mg Sodium, 42g Carbohydrate, 6g Fiber, 30g Protein