Wilted Lettuce Salad with Bacon Dressing and Hard-Boiled Eggs
- 12 cups of chopped fresh garden lettuce, cleaned
- 4-5 green onions, chopped and divided
- ½ cup sugar snap peas, strung and roughly chopped
- 8-10 regular thickness bacon strips, chopped, cooked and drippings reserved (approximately 1/3 cup)
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons sugar or sugar alternative
- 4-8 hard-boiled eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup salted sunflower kernels, optional
In a large bowl, add lettuce and half the green onions. Keep the bacon grease warm in a skillet over medium-low heat; add sugar and vinegar. Stir and heat for 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Add remaining green onions, chopped snap peas and cooked bacon. Dress salad with this mixture. Divide among four plates. Top each plate with a sliced hard-boiled egg, salt and pepper. If desired, add sunflower seeds. Serve immediately.
This recipe was developed as part of Iowa Food & Family Project's "Let's Grow Together" campaign, in partnership with Earl May Garden Center.