Bacon & Sweet Corn Mac 'N Cheese
Recipe from Cristen Clark, Food & Swine
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon of reserved bacon fat from cooking bacon
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 ½ cups half and half
- ½ lb. block Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded (2 cups), divided
- ½ lb. block mild cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups), divided
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt (adjust to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1 (15 oz.) can sweet corn, drained or 2 cups of frozen sweet corn, drained
- 1 lb. cellentani/cavatappi or other shape pasta, cooked to al dente and drained
- 1 lb. smoked bacon, cooked, chopped, divided
- ½ cup chopped green onions
In a large saucepan or stock pot, re-heat reserved bacon fat over medium heat, add butter. Add onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes until translucent and tender. Add flour and stir for 1 minute, to cook raw flour taste out. Whisk in half and half. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until mixture is reduced by one fourth and has thickened.
Stir or whisk in 1 ⅔ cup of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses, and Parmesan cheese until melted, creamy and thickened. Add mustard powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper, mix well.Stir in corn, cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat and gently stir in cooked and drained pasta and ¾ of the chopped bacon.
Pour mixture into greased 9x13 baking dish.
Cover with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° F for 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and slightly golden brown. Serve warm, garnish with remaining bacon and chopped green onions.
Nutrition per serving: 978 Calories, 65.6g Total Fat, 155.9mg Cholesterol, 1229.1mg Sodium, 62.9g Carbohydrate, 3.2g Fiber, 35.2g Protein