Harvest BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Recipe from Julie Kenney, farmer from Story County
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 (4- to 5-pound) boneless pork butt roast
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) beef broth
- ½ cup coffee
- 1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bottle (16 ounces) barbecue sauce
- Kaiser rolls
- Additional barbecue sauce for serving
Preheat the oven to 325°F. In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, paprika, salt cayenne, garlic powder and mustard powder. Rub the spice mixture all over pork roast.
Pour the broth, coffee and Worcestershire into a large Dutch oven. Place the pork roast in the pot, cover the pot with foil and then the lid. Braise the pork until it’s fork-tender and shreds easily, about 4 hours; baste with the braising juices about every hour.
Remove the lid and foil and let the roast stand until it’s cool enough to handle. Shred the pork and toss with barbecue sauce. Serve pork on Kaiser rolls with additional sauce on the side.
Nutrition per serving: 430 Calories, 9g Total Fat, 95mg Cholesterol, 1,200mg Sodium, 46g Carbohydrate, 2g Fiber, 38g Protein