Iowa State Fair
Join the 11-day celebration of all things Iowa.
The iconic Iowa State Fair is a celebration of the food, families and farming that make Iowa special. Whether it’s meeting baby piglets, cheering on grocery bagging competitions or enjoying an ice cream cone in the dairy barn, fairgoers can make lifelong memories during the incredible 11-day event.
It takes a lot of volunteers, food and fuel to power the Iowa State Fair each year, and Iowa’s farm groups play a huge part in making that happen. Here are a few fun facts about food at the Iowa State Fair:
- Approximately 160,000 eggs on a stick are handed out each year.
- The Iowa Cattlemen's Beef Quarters serves 28,000 pounds of beef each year.
- On average, more than 7,100 gallons of ice cream are served at the Dairy Barn.
- Each year, 75,000 pork chops are served.
- Beer and hot dogs are state fair favorites that come from corn.
- The turkey grill opened in 1983.
- The fair spans 400 acres, and a farmer can grow 94,000 bushels of corn or 26,000 bushels of soybeans on 400 acres.
- A world record for the most people simultaneously eating corn dogs was set at the fair, with 8,400 corn dogs consumed.
Save the Date
The 2018 Iowa State Fair will be held August 9 to 19. Throughout the event fairgoers are invited to visit the Iowa Food & Family Project team in the south atrium of the Varied Industries Building. We’ll have opportunities to win giveaways, meet farmers and learn how Iowa agriculture goes from the field to your table. Learn more about the 2018 Iowa State Fair.
Fond Fair Memories
During the 2017 Iowa State Fair, we invited John and Johnna Perry of Kansas City, Missouri, to create a display that truly popped! The world-record holding balloon sculptors used more than 23,000 balloons bring a farm scene to life. Fairgoers had the opportunity to speak with farmers, win fun goodies and have Cristen Clark, a farmer, award-winning cook and creator of the Food & Swine blog, sign a copy of the Iowa State “Fare” Cookbook. Click through the stories below to see highlights of our favorite fair memories.